Math Stations - Introduction Round

For my Math Stations, I use Debbie Diller's Math Workstations book as my guide. Math Stations change throughout the year and the best part is that they incorporate games we've already played.  So, it's more review for the kids and also less prep because the games are already there, ready, and taught.  I change out my Math Stations about every 3-4 weeks depending on how often we've got to them.  I have 12 stations in my room.  Stations 1-10 are in storage bins, Station 11 is computers, and Station 12 is the SmartBoard. For Stations 1-10, I have doubles of each station.  For example, Station 1 is the same as Station 6, Station 2 is the same as Station 7, etc.  This way, it's more review for the kids.  They might play Station 1 game on Monday and then the next Tuesday they'll review those games again at Station 6.  This way they're getting lots of practice, but it's not the same thing two days in a row.

For my introduction stations, I make them easy and a little bit more of an exploration station.  The reason I do this is because I focus more on the management piece of stations.  We go over our Math Station Expectations, we go over how to work with partners, we go over how to use  math tools correctly, and how to keep our voices at a Level 1 Whisper Voice during stations.  I also don't pull math groups during the introduction stations.  During this time, I'm walking around the room helping kids work together, complimenting the good things I see (partners sharing, Level 1 voices, etc), and making sure the management piece is there.  I find by doing this it makes it so much easier to pull groups in following weeks because I've laid the foundation down during the introduction unit of how stations should be.

Here are my introduction stations:

Station 1 and Station 6 - Time Exploration.  In this bin, I have time puzzles, a book on time, two mini clocks for the kids to explore, and the large Judy clock.



 
Stations 2, 7 - 10 Frame Station.  In this station, I have counting books, blank 10 and 20 frames,  and counters.  They can build numbers on the 10 and 20 frame and work on finding out how many more they need to fill it.
 


 
Stations 3, 8 - Place Value.  For the place value station, I have place value books and the place value game.  For the place value game, students need a place value mat (one side for the ones and one side for the 10s), a dice, a 10 frame, and unifix cubes.  Students roll the dice and then fill in how many ones they got on the one side of their board.  Then, students roll again.  Once they have ten ones, they put them together to make a ten stick, and move it over to the tens side. This game is a great way for them to really see how to make the ten and actually gives them a chance to do it (I always start place value this way and then move to the base 10 blocks).
 


 
 
Stations 4, 8 - Addition Practice.  At this station, I have addition books for the kids to read, addition flashcards, and the game from our Everyday Math Curriculum Addition Top-It.
 






Stations 5, 10 - Geometry Exploration. At this station, I have math books for the kids to read, attribute blocks for the kids to explore, and geoboards and rubber bands.




 

 
Station 11 - Computer Math Games. At this station, I have various online math games and math practice for kids to play.
 
 
 
Station 12 - Smart Board Station. I don't have this station up and running during the introduction stations, but I will have more info in it on the next round.
 
 
 
Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment