Five for Friday - July 22

I'm back for another edition of Doodle Bug's Five for Friday. This has been another busy, fun summer week. Check out what I've been up to below...



In my 2-3 Math Workshop this week, we worked on multiplication and the older kiddos worked on 2-digit by 2-digit multiplication. I absolutely love the two strategies above. The Window Strategy and Partial Product Strategy are great because they lay everything out neatly, organize, and make it clear what each number represents! I wish I knew this strategy when I was a kid. I think I would have understood multiplication much better if I did.


In my K-1 class, we worked on subtraction.  We played the game Race to Zero.  Students start at 100 and roll the die. They then subtract that number. They keep track of their equations and the first one to zero wins the game! Quick, easy way to practice subtraction!


Wow! So glad I went to the 2016 Vegas Teacher Meet-Up at the Venetian this week. This was my first teacher meet-up and I was a little nervous, but met these sweet girls right away.  It was a great night talking teaching, dancing with GoNoodle, and winning door prizes!




Ah it's almost that time again - back to school! Teachers report back August 15 and kids start one month from today! I feel like summer is going way too fast! Since we're on the fast track to school starting, I've started working on my long-term plans for the year. So far, I have reading, phonics, and social studies done.  On the to do list this weekend is math, grammar, and writing! I'll share my plans once I have them finished!


Last weekend, Andy and I went to San Diego.  What a nice weather change! The three-digit temps in Vegas can get a little wearing as the summer goes on, so the 75 degree weather in San Diego was amazing. We had a great time at Seaport Village and Mission Beach.  Love taking summer trips!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Follow me on...

 

3 comments:

  1. Seeing the math strategies reminded me why it is so important for me to teach my second graders expanded form.

    Love San Diego! Glad you had a great time.

    Stacy
    Made with Love

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy! San Diego is a great vacation spot - one of my favorites.
      Expanded form is so important - I work on that with my second graders a lot too! Have a good weekend!
      Jordan
      Team J's Second Grade Fun

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing those multiplication strategies! I teach 3rd, so I don't usually teach multiplication with two 2-digit numbers. It's nice to have ideas in my bag of tricks to differentiate for the higher-level students, though. San Diego sounds like a great place to visit.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete