Classroom Voice Level Chart

Anchor charts are one of my favorite teaching things! At the beginning of the school year, we spend a lot of time making different charts to go over procedures and expectations. I was looking through my photos last year and found one of my favorites - The Classroom Voice Level Chart. Now, I've seen some cute ones made with VistaPrint and other companies, but there is just something about making it with your class.  It may not look as professional, but they kids take ownership when they help make it and tend to value it more.  Our school's behavior expectations have taken on some very specific language to make it consistent class to class and grade level to grade level. One of the specific phrases we've taken on is "0 Voice." We use "0 Voice" in the hallways, in the bathrooms, during fire drills, etc. This year, I decided to take it a step further and determine what different voice levels would like in the classroom.  Here's what the chart looks like...simple, but effective


I loved having this chart in the classroom because we could easily say - ok, during math stations we need to use our "1 Level" voice - what does that sound like? And, the kids knew. We spent a lot of time setting up these expectations and practicing them, but I noticed the noise level in the classroom was more under control.

1 comment:

  1. Making charts with your kids is SO much more effective! I have my "noise o meter" and a little magnetic arrow to show where they should be, especially during centers. It helps so much!

    ReplyDelete