New Blog Series - All About Literacy Stations - Introduction

I have been using Literacy Stations in my classroom since I started teaching 11 years ago. I've used them in first-third grades and have found them beneficial for all students.  I decided to start a little blog series during the month of January that will cover all things Literacy Stations.

So to start off - I decided to answer a few questions about Literacy Stations to  introduce us to the topic...

What are Literacy Stations?

  • Literacy stations are literacy based activities that students can work on independently.
  • They provide practice and differentiation with reading and writing skills. Some stations can offer review for students while also offering challenge activities for students who are ready.
  • Stations are more student driven and less teacher driven.
  • They do not need to be changed out weekly - stations can run with the same activities all year long making less work for the teacher.
  • Literacy stations when up and running can free the teacher up to pull small groups.
Why do I like using Literacy Stations in my classroom?

  • Students are independently working on reading and writing skills which makes it possible for me to pull literacy small groups.
  • Students have choices in the activities that they are working on.
  • There are options that provide built-in differentiation.
  • They are working with a partner or group of 3, which provides practice working with others.
  • Students are rotating stations each day so no one is bored doing the same activity multiple times in a row.
  • Once it's set-up - it's up and running. I do not have to change out stations each week. I do add things throughout the year, but since there are multiple choices at each station - kids are more likely to be engaged.
  • No worksheets - I'm not a fan of worksheets and while they are some recording sheets this is not a sit down and do your workbook type of time. Students are practicing reading, creating writing pieces, and playing games.  Much more engaging then doing a few pages in a workbook.

Where did I get most of my ideas and inspiration?

  • I've gotten many ideas, especially when I was just starting out, from Debbie Diller.  She has two excellent books about literacy stations.  Literacy Work Stations is geared towards K-2 teachers.  Practice with Purpose is geared towards 3-6 teachers.
  • I also have been through a training at a past school.
  • I've also researched ideas online and implemented/created ideas of my own.
 

What will this blog series include?

  • This blog series will run through the rest of January. 
  • I will also be doing videos on Instagram and/or Facebook.
  • Topics Included:
    • Set-Up
    • Management
    • Ideas for.... reading station, technology station, fluency station, reading response station, vocabulary station, writing station, non-fiction station, and teacher time.

Check back on Tuesday for ideas for how to set-up Literacy Stations in your classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment