How I use Code.org In My Classroom

Image result for code.org

Do you use coding in your classroom? If not, you have to try Code.org.  Coding is such an important part of technology. And, as we know, jobs that our students will be doing in the future most of them will heavily rely on technology.  I always thought coding was just a bunch of numbers and gibberish and never quite understood it. However, after using Code.org myself (I made myself a student account) I've learned right along with my students.


Set-Up:
Set-up is super easy and free.  Go to Code.org, click sign-in, and click on create a free account. It is free which is amazing because the lessons are valuable and there are many levels.  Once you create a teacher account you are able to create a class account and then student accounts. It is simple to do and once it's done you are ready to go!  

How I Use It:
The first time my students worked on coding I modeled step by step how to log in.  Once they were logged in, they were good to go on their own.  Code.org starts students in Course 1 and moves them through at their own pace.  I teach second grade so Course 1 was a good starting point for my students and myself.  Code.org provides videos to explain what to do and has fun activities for practice. For example, some of the activities require them to set-up code to move the characters around from Angry Birds.  Each lesson builds and gets more complicated as it goes.  

Students loved it and wanted to code during free time, which I was fine with. Some even chose to work on coding during Fun Friday.  I did have a dedicated block of time each week for coding.  During Morning Meeting, on Tuesdays, I called it "Tech Tuesday" and kids would code for the activity.  Students can also work on it at home. There is a little slip you can print that has the log-in information for home use.


Certificates:
Once a student finishes a course level there is a certificate you can print out. The kids love being recognized for their hard work!

Do you use Code.org? If so, what is your favorite part? Write me in the comments below...

1 comment:

  1. I have been playing with the idea of using code.org for a while. I was a bit concerned that it is just 'playing' but I think I will give it a try next year.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete