Five for Friday - September 2

Week 2 is now complete!! The kiddos are starting to grasp our procedures and expectations and now the teaching can really begin. I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Five For Friday. Check out what I've been up to below...


I love Number Talks. You will see many posts about these. We started these week 1 and the kids are already getting a hang of it. I love seeing that they're already coming up with multiple strategies for the same answer!





Little trick for figuring out the difference between less and greater. When you turn the less than symbol up, it makes the letter "l" for Less. 

To practice comparing numbers, students played Can't Top It from Hope King's Math Stations. They had a lot of fun creating the biggest number and seeing who had the most.


This week we worked on compound words.  This freebie will be coming soon to my store!


In addition to our Counting Collections Math Stations, I also have students making a booklet of numbers from 1-1,000.  I want to make sure they have a clear understanding of the patterns in counting and also make sure they can correctly right larger numbers. Quick easy place value activity.




I have been so impressed with how my students have taken to Writing Workshop. This week we talked about how writer's plan their stories. We discussed three ways - 1- telling the story across your fingers, 2-sketching your story out, and 3- writing key words at the top of each page to help plan the pages and your story. These kids have been amazing at taking what we're talking about in the mini-lesson and applying it to their own writing!

Hope everyone has a lovely long weekend!!


Follow me on...

 

4 comments:

  1. I really like how you used your hand to model greater than/less than - so hard to remember - I know I could never remember myself! Love your blog background! Happy Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was something I struggled with as a kid, so when I realized the trick I had to share! Hope you have a great weekend!
      Jordan
      Team J's Second Grade Fun

      Delete
  2. Those writing plans are too cute! Glad they're loving Writing Workshop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They've done a great job trying the new way of planning out. Have a great weekend!
      Jordan
      Team J's Second Grade Fun

      Delete