Five for Friday - February 19

Another busy week even thought it was a super short week! I'm linking back up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday. Link up here...




We starting working on the comprehension skill - asking questions this week.  The above lesson is from Debbie Miller's Reading with Meaning. I love the book Grandfather Twilight. I think it's an uncommon book so the kids always have great reactions to it because it's new to them.  The first day we came up with questions before we read, while we read, and after.  Some questions were pretty deep and some were more surface level. We were very worried about the animals this year lol.


I love Class Dojo's Growth Mindset videos. We've watched three now and they are fantastic! If you haven't seen them, you have to check them out! The first one is about how your brain is constantly growing and learning. The second is all about the importance and that it is ok to make mistakes. The one we watched this week is all about timing.  You might not how to do something right away, but it's not that you won't ever get it, you just don't get it "yet." Great videos that provide great discussion opportunities!





I love number talks! Love, love, love them. I need to give number talks it's own post to fully declare my love lol.  Above is one we did the other day using mental math and solving a 2-digit by 1-digit multiplication problem. Mind you we've only been focusing on basic multiplication for about a month. Look at the number of different strategies and the way the kids are using the numbers flexibly to figure out the answer! I was impressed!


We had our second round of conferences on Tuesday. Luckily we had the whole day off school to meet with parents. I always love showing how much progress the kids have made. I have a great group of kids and families this year so the conferences were very productive and helpful!



Here's a shot or two from Valentine's Day on Sunday. My husband knows me well - flowers and Fritos lol.  The way to my heart! We also had an amazing dinner at Brio! Love the restaurant!


Have a great Friday and weekend!

Follow me on...

 
”post

3 comments:

  1. I love your teacher conference area! I just had a half moon table fully funded through Donors Choose to work with my small groups. I can't wait to have it come in and assembled to begin a working area with my students. It looks like you had a wonderful Valentine's Day too. I am so excited to find another 2nd grade blog since this is my first year teaching it!

    Joni
    http://kinderkidsfun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joni! Thank you for stopping by! I always love meeting other 2nd grade teachers! You will love the table for small group work! I love using it and the kids love it too since it's a white board table and they can write right on it!
      Have a great weekend!

      Jordan
      Team J's Second Grade Fun

      Delete
    2. Hi Joni! Thank you for stopping by! I always love meeting other 2nd grade teachers! You will love the table for small group work! I love using it and the kids love it too since it's a white board table and they can write right on it!
      Have a great weekend!

      Jordan
      Team J's Second Grade Fun

      Delete