Packing Up Tip

I'm not sure about any other teacher, but the end of the day always drives me a little crazy.  Especially at the beginning of the year.  Packing up has always been a chaotic time no matter how much routine I try to put into place.  The beginning of the school year is even more chaotic because they have no idea about the routine and listening skills need some work as it is. 
 
So, this year we did our super slow motion pack up 2-3 days.  Slow motion meaning - open your planner - stop, write in your planner - stop, have me sign your planner - stop, get your folder - stop, etc...  I won't bore you with the rest of this.  This year since I have a small number of students they definitely picked up the routine faster.  However, I have a few kiddos who seem to be in their own world at times and move quite slowly to do many things.  These are the kiddos that think they are packed up and are sitting and in reality their backpack is still hanging, lunchbox in the cubby, planner out, and more. 
 
So, instead of driving myself totally crazy and losing my voice continuing to call out the routine, I wrote it on the board.  Simple and to the point. I'm sure many of you have thought of this, but if not try it.  It helps because instead of me continuing to repeat the routine or repeat it to certain students, they can look at the board or I can "remind" them to look at the board :-).
 
Here's my routine on the board...
 

 
 
Sorry for the lack of blogging. I always forget how the first few weeks of school leave you so exhausted.  I have a handle on things now and many blog posts to share so I should be back at it this week.
 
Hope everyone has a great long weekend!


Follow me on...
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment