Counting to 1,000 Idea - 2.NBT.3

One of the standards in 2nd grade specifically 2.NBT.3 is that students are able to read and write numbers to 1,000.  Now, this seems like a large task and can also seem a bit monotonous.  I didn't want it to become that way for my kiddos so I came up with a challenge for them. The challenge is they have to take their blank hundreds charts and write the numbers from 1 to 1,000.  Then, when they are finished they get to turn it into a book with a cover that they get to decorate and take home to share with their families. I know this doesn't sound overly exciting to us since we're adults - but the kids ate it up!  The other thing I did is limited the time we spent on it each day. If we spent a half hour on it every day the kids would get bored and it would never get finished.  Two to three days a week after we've cleaned up math stations we have about 4-5 minutes until we start math. During that time students can work on their counting to 1,000.  Funny enough they even ask to work on it when they have finished their math work early.  Below are a few pictures of my student's book - he was the first one to finish...



 
Happy Counting!

3 comments:

  1. THIS IS AN AMAZING IDEA! Why didn't I think of this?! Thank you...going to take care of this right now for my class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! I'm glad this idea could help you! Hope it works well for your class!

      Jordan
      Team V's First Grade Fun

      Delete