Bucket Filling

I love, love, love bucket filling! This is my first year doing it with my first graders and it has been fantastic.  On Monday, we read two bucket filling books

We read this book first and discussed what it meant to have an invisible bucket.
 
Then, we read this book and discussed what it meant to be a bucket filler and a bucket dipper. As a class, we then made an anchor chart coming up with examples of both bucket filling and bucket dipping. We spent a lot of time talking about how we'd rather be bucket fillers than bucket dippers.
 
 
 
After reading the two books and coming up with our anchor chart, the kids had a chance to fill out two bucket filling slips.  They were so excited.  While I was walking around the classroom monitoring, I was so excited and so happy to see the nice, positive comments the kids were writing to each other.  Since this was our first week doing bucket filling, I provided 5-10 minutes each day for the kids to write to two kids. We really focused on trying to write to someone new each day.  Then, on Friday, we handed out each child's bucket filling slips and the kids got to read them and take them home.
 
 
Below you will see a picture of the bucket filling bulletin.  I debated how to set-up the buckets and through some collaboration with other fantastic teacher at my school and my teacher candidate, settled on the picture below.  There is a clothespin for each kid, but instead of them hooking it on the clothespin, they just drop it in the bag.  It worked super well and I'm excited to see all of the kind things the kids come up with this week!
 
The whole bulletin.
 
A closer look
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment