Five for Friday - July 8

Well this week I started back in the classroom. No, not for my regular 2nd grade classroom.  I still have until August 15 when teachers are due back.  For the next 5 weeks, I will be teaching a summer math workshop to kids exiting grades K-1 and 2-3.  I love the schedule Tuesday - Thursday, 8-12.  Do you think I could petition for a school schedule like that lol? Anyways, for the next few weeks I'll share some summer fun as well as some of the math activities we've been working on.  Be sure to link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday, here.



Here are two pictures from my summer math workshop class.  The top kiddos are in my 2-3 group and they were working on some fun place value games from Lakeshore Learning. I highly recommend stopping in there from time to time. The games came from one of their game kits, which had like 10 games in it and I got it on sale (and it was a really good sale).  They have games and activities like that on sale from time to time so it's always a good idea to stop in.

The bottom picture is one of my K-1 kiddos.  She was working hard on placing the counting by 2 skip counting cards in order. She had quite the task in front of her!

The first week went well. Next week, we'll be focusing on Operations in both classes.


My Writing Workshop Wednesdays series officially launched this week.  This week I shared Why I use Writing Workshop. I'm very passionate about WW, so if you're interested or if your school uses it, check out my blog post, here.



Number Talks- how I love thee! Well I love many things about teaching as I just professed my love for using Writing Workshop above. Number Talks are another one of my favorite routines to do during math.  I actually am planning a blog post coming up explaining how I use Number Talks in the classroom and showing some examples.  Do you use Number Talks at school? If so, let me know in the comments below.





I'm finally jumping back in to my blog's Facebook page. I had neglected it for awhile, but have found some awesome ideas, pictures, videos, articles, etc that I would love to share with all of you! Please follow my Facebook page (Team J's Second Grade Funhere...



Ah...summertime. While I have been working a bit this week, I still have had lots of time for relaxation. I'm loving hitting up our community pool and catching up on some good books on my Kindle.  I just finished Emily Giffin's new one, First Comes Love.  I really liked it! She is one of my favorite authors.

Have a wonderful weekend!


Follow me on...

 

3 comments:

  1. Our school is starting the shift towards Writer's Workshop. I'm sure I'll be reading your posts. I'm trying to learn as much I can! Our town doesn't have a community pool, and I sort of wish we did. Fortunately, I have friends who invite us to swim with them. Enjoy your summer math workshops!
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan!
      Thank you for checking out my Writing Workshop posts. I hope you enjoy using WW as much as I do. I've seen a lot of growth from my writers over the years of using it. Hope you had a good weekend!
      Jordan
      Team J's Second Grade Fun

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete